Star Wars

Star Wars HoloNet Digest #2: February 13-20, 2013


Eric Logo HologramArtwork by Joshua Stolte

Welcome back to The Star Wars HoloNet Digest, a weekly feature where I bring you a recap of the latest news from the world of Star Wars. Whether it’s an Episode VII rumor or a noteworthy author interview, you’ll find it here. Let’s check the HoloNet and see what happened in the past week.

Hollywood.com’s Christian Blauvelt reached out to a number of Star Wars authors to get their thoughts on the Sequel Trilogy. Drew Karpyshyn, Paul S. Kemp, Troy Denning, John Jackson Miller, James Luceno, Michael Reaves, Christie Golden, and Aaron Allston all shared their hopes for the films, their preferences for how the Big Three should go out if it came to that, and their desired Expanded Universe character cameos. If you’re a fan of these authors and you’re eagerly awaiting the Sequels, you can check out their responses here.

I found myself agreeing with the authors who chose Jaina Solo for a cameo (in this case, a starring role) in the Sequels. If this trilogy is going to be about the next generation assuming the mantle of leadership from Luke, Han, and Leia, Jaina would be a fantastic choice for a lead character. First of all, she already has a massive following thanks to her heroics in the EU. Second of all, female characters haven’t quite gotten their due in the big-screen Star Wars experience, Leia’s feistiness and Padmé’s diplomatic tact notwithstanding. Star Wars is long overdue for a female lead, and Jaina Solo is perfectly positioned to assume that role.

Also this week, two major figures in the Star Wars cast and crew expressed interest in returning to their previous roles. The first was Ewan McGregor, who told MTV that he’d “be up for” a spinoff film starring Obi-Wan Kenobi. McGregor called the time period between Episodes III and IV “my window, there, to tell that story,” adding, “I don’t know what he did in the desert. We could make up some stuff.” McGregor might want to reach out to author John Jackson Miller, seeing as how he has a forthcoming novel called Star Wars: Kenobi set in that exact time period. Nevertheless, I think I speak for a lot of fans when I say that I would love to see McGregor reprise his role in a story that revealed just how he came to look so grizzled after a relatively short period of time in the Jundland Wastes.

John Williams also suggested that he was eager to return to conducting duties for the Star Wars franchise. Shortly before a recent performance of the Star Wars main theme, the 81-year-old conductor told the audience, “I need to make sure I’m still ready to go in a few years for what I hope would be continued work with George.” Given how important Williams’ themes were to the emotional resonance of the Star Wars films, I can’t think of a better person for the job of Sequel Trilogy composer. Some have suggested that composer and longtime J. J. Abrams collaborator Michael Giacchino would take over for Williams on the Sequels given his existing partnership with Abrams, but if I’m Abrams, there’s no one I even think of calling first besides the man who imbued the first six films with so much power and poignancy.

Time for another Episode VII rumor: Latino-Review.com is reporting that Harrison Ford will reprise his role as Han Solo in one of the next Star Wars films. While this has yet to be confirmed by Lucasfilm, it dovetails with what Entertainment Weekly reported back in November, shortly after Disney announced its intention to make the Sequel Trilogy.

Lastly, I have a quick and shameless plug for a project of mine that began last week, shortly after I posted my first Star Wars HoloNet Digest. I am one of the new co-hosts of The ForceCast, a podcast network operated by TheForce.Net and Rebelscum.com. I, along with my co-host Erik Blythe, plan to cover the Expanded Universe with much more regularity, depth, and experience than The ForceCast previously did. We have a great literature program on our network already called Jedi Journals, but if you’re already listening to that and you want still more EU discussion, tune into The Weekly ForceCast, our flagship program, for occasional EU discussions, as well as extended commentary on the news you read here in the Star Wars HoloNet Digest.


Eric Geller is a college student majoring in political science whose interests include technology, journalism, and of course Star Wars. He reviews The Clone Wars TV series and manages social media for Star Wars fan site TheForce.Net. He also co-hosts The ForceCast podcast. He is originally from the Washington, D.C. area.


2 Responses to “Star Wars HoloNet Digest #2: February 13-20, 2013”

  1. Courtney M. says:

    Also, the AV Club is reporting Mark Hamill stated that the big 3 (himself, Fisher, and Ford) have not signed any contracts to appear in new SW movies. Check out the article: http://www.avclub.com/articles/today-in-star-wars-rumors-mark-hamill-says-no-one,92765/

    I would love to see a Jaina based movie though. She’s an awesome character.

  2. ebrahim says:

    hi
    thank you

Leave a Comment




Star Wars Books on Facebook

The Star Wars Novels Timeline

Click here to download a PDF timeline of all the Star Wars novels.